Nighthawks

I got up early this morning, and went to a cafe to do a spot of writing while Lorraine snoozed. I began to feel very odd and anxious as the morning wore on and we four made our way through the busy streets of Chicago this morning. However it transpired that I was really dehydrated, and several pints of water later I felt what passes for normal again.

Up the "Mag Mile" and here and there. Eventually, after pausing for yet more food, off to the Chicago Art Institute. Spent many happy hours goggling at so many amazing artworks I'd only seen in books. I only realised after an hour or so that people were happily snapping away with their cameras at the art pieces. So I joined in capturing images by personal PK favourites such as Klee, Ernst and Leger. Also some amazing Van Goughs there, including his wonderful self portrait. Looked at the American art too, with Nighthawks by Edward Hopper being the most famous, and also my favourite.

There was also a seriously good exhibition of Japanese screen painting called Beyond Golden Clouds. Wonderful images, including two with trees tied with poems.

In the evening off to a nearby Pizza restaurant, as I had convinced myself that pizza was the thing to eat in Chicago. Queued up for some time, but it was well worth it. Lovely pizza and more cold beer. A buzzy place crammed with Chicagoans enjoying their Friday night.

From here by taxi off to the Congress theatre to see Romy and Toby favourites The Babasonicos from Argentina. We met Gillian, Simone and Nori there too. Very Latin American audience, and English was quickly dispensed with in favour of Spanish. Two DJs playing rather interminably, and sending Lorraine to sleep, before the los Babas began their set. Romy very happy and fighting to the front in a fan girl way.

Quite enjoyed the Babasonicos, and their set got much stronger towards the end. Sound somewhat muddy though, and the theatre more than half empty. Toby told me that they play stadiums in Argentina. Nori drove us all home in their big boat sized car. Back at the hotel Lorraine, who was feeling a little under the weather and I gratefully slumped into our large bed on the twentieth floor, while Chicago twinkled on beneath us.

Below clouds obscuring the tops of buildings, the pizza restaurant, Nighthawks by Edward Hopper, and the cheery Babasonicos.



Comments

badgerdaddy said…
I went to the Hopper exhibition at Tate Modern, and it was superb. Love looking at everything else he did, wonderful as Nighthawks is. It's not my favourite painting, but it is the one that made me look at all the rest of his work. And in a sideways step to John Hughes who died a few weeks ago, I first encountered Nighthawks in the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off, when Ferris and co hit the Art Institute.
Rockin'.