The magic never stops

Feeling antsy today, so went for a walk by the sea at Hove with Lorraine, along with most of the population of the City and some Great Danes, which seemed abundant in the city this weekend. They wear yellow jackets with the logo of a Great Dane charity on them. This all made me think of Nev who owned two of the monsters when I worked with him.

As leaden clouds eventually took over we then went to see Prince Caspian. I have loved the C.S. Lewis Narnia books from childhood, and I thought this was a pretty good adaptation of what was my least favourite story of the series. A bit Lord of the Rings lite in the fighting, but it also had a few moments that were its own mainly revolving around Aslan and Lucy. The Spanish-flavoured baddies were enjoyable too. I have absolutely no problem with the Christian undercurrents either. Dismissing a work on this basis is buffoonish, as if you'd have to disallow half of European culture in the last millennium too.

Then I went home and spoke to Toby about Mum, and also about his fab sounding Argentinian holiday from which he and Romy have just returned. Spoke to Mase a couple of times today, and Mum is bored in hospital but is not too bad. Mase not too bad, but a bit tired. I will visit both shortly.

In the evening settled down to watch Shadowlands on TV, sipping a small glass of Armagnac, in a rather Frasier Crane manner. Mad dog bought me the bottle about two and a half years ago, and it's still two thirds full. Very nice though. This is a lovely film with splendid performances from Anthony Hopkins as C.S. Lewis and Debra Winger as Joy Gresham. One of my favourite movies, although fairly ghastly and miserable in some ways, and rather over romanticised.

To round off my Narnia-themed day read a couple of chapters from Prince Caspian too, in the lovely full colour reissue editions I bought a few years ago.

Below the real Jack and Joy.


Comments