Christmas day for me and MJ with a first cup of coffee at 6:00 am. Soon a bleary-eyed Jack and Kate tore happily into their presents under the Christmas tree. Fun to watch, and as far as I could tell they seemed very content with their Christmas haul.

Called Mum and Mase, and also spoke to Anton and Weezer during the day and Johanna Pie finally got through to MJ.

MJ gave me an excellent book of Neruda poetry and watercolour pictures. While the perceptive Pies gave me an admirable teeshirt decorated with a chick and a magnet .

Very mellow and enjoyable day after the children had been collected by their father. MJ and me had bagels with Mike and Anne, and took the opportunity to go back to bed to catch up on some much needed sleep.

In the afternoon off to Lia's house in nearby East Northport. Driving along with MJ I experienced, for the 400th time, the odd contradiction of how normal it feels for me and MJ to be spending Christmas together, and how odd it is that I find myself in Long Island.

Mum had given MJ a shawl which she wore to great effect and looked lovely.

Lia had cooked an exceptionally nice Christmas dinner, with lasagne, turkey and baked ham, salad, vegetables, mashed potatoes and loads of cake later. Lia's twin daughters Jordan and Marrissa, I'd last seen in the summer, playing charades with Jack and Kate. Then Marrissa lay rigidly on the floor being a speed bump, which is an image that has stuck with me ever since. Lia's mother was also there, having driven in from Queens.

Had a nice long chat with MJ and Lia, drinking wine and listening to old Prince hits. Home and enjoyed watching MJ playing with the celtic tree divination cards that she got for Christmas.

Comments