Woke up early and it felt enjoyable and familiar sitting in my room with the window open to the grey and rainy morning, drinking instant coffee and writing yesterday’s entry.

After a large breakfast, Sophie and me went for a walk in the teeming rain and lurked about on the campus. Then back to Scarman to dry off before the taxi to Coventry. Gallingly realised at the station that I had left my ticket in the hotel.

Sophie on the train getting in the Buddhist mood.



Arriving at Euston we went straight to Friends House to join a Rigpa event. Rigpa is a Tibetan word with connotations of the innermost nature of the mind as well as intelligence and awareness.

It was a two day event but we were able to sneak in for the last quarter – with several hours of teaching by Tibetan Buddhist Minguyur Rinpoche who was 29 and had a funny as well as a wise old soul. He spoke in English, with a translator to help with the trickier bits.

Although I am no expert, one of the things I love about Buddhism is the fact that there is room for laughter and the absurd. Minguyur Rinpoche certainly used animals in his examples quite a bit, which I enjoyed.

On entering the hall we were given a handful of rice as an offering. I had no idea what it was for, however. When the master arrived, everyone stood reverentially and once we had sat down again there was some chanting. Suddenly everyone threw their rice in the general direction of the stage. As I went to bed that night I was still discovering the odd grain in my hair.

I was very interested in what he had to say – about using the natural activity of the “mad monkey” mind and its stream of thoughts as itself a way of meditating.

He showed us a rosary-like string of beads. He explained that each one represents a thought going on in a circle forever. He showed us that if you feel and notice each thought as if it were a bead passing through your fingers you create a way of meditating without having to struggle to banish all your own thoughts.

Then Sogyal Rinpoche who is the founder of Rigpa said some words. There was much reverence from the crowd to both teachers.

Teachings went on till 7, and then Sophie and I went for a quick drink to discuss the weekend and the teachings we had heard, before bidding her a fond farewell.

Journey back to Brighton turned into an ordeal, taking me two hours to get home from Victoria. Despite my injection of Buddhism I felt very ratty about during this journey. However, I managed to score a late Chinese meal and chat with MJ before heading for bed.

An excellent weekend however. And really lovely to connect with Sophie after such a long time, and hear so many interesting thoughts.

Comments