A beer with my Godson

Up and breakfasting early, Calliope with me as I carried her up to be with me. She was purring all night.

At lunchtime I caught the train to Brighton and met Anton and Oskar at the station. We walked down to Preston Street and stopped at The Brick for a cheeky small beer (and a wee for me). First time I've had a drink in a pub with Oskar, as he only turned 18 at the end of April. We sat outside to down our small beers, when a random guy asked to sit down with us which was a bit weird. He was harmless though. Then went down to the boules area on the beach. Quite busy but there was a free bit at the end. There was a homeless guy in a tent who started shouting at us to help him get his tent up, while also claiming to be an ex-soldier and that we were all bastards for not helping. Anton and I played one game, and then I dropped out and Oskar began to play with Anton, when an old geezer wearing a boules tie came over and insisted we join him and two other people to play a six handed game. We didn't know what we were doing of course, and the old guy took on a  peevish tone which irritated me. But it was all fine in the end. He was very old, and grew confused when I asked him questions. Such as when he announced, we start with a mêleé, I said 'what is a mêleé?' and his answer was 'a mêleé'. Oskar a bit of a natural at boules. 

Back to the Brick, where we had another drink and chatted. Oskar had received his A level results yesterday. He's going to do a foundation course in art next year, before he goes of to do a degree -- or not.  Thence to eat burgers at the pub called The Inn on the Square, by Churchill Square. Lovely burgers, but the pub not great. 

Fond farewells with Oskar, I'd really enjoyed chatting with him today. Anton and I repaired to the Evening Star and drank two very slow halves and played two slow games of bones. A quick pop into the Yeoman, which has reopened under new management. It was absolutely empty. I hope it succeeds because it was a great little place when I first moved to Brighton. Being in there reminded me of lots of things, but Mason loved the burgers they used to serve in there. 

Home and enjoyed being on the gold sofa this evening, watching the first match of the day of the season. Fell asleep though.

Below Oskar and Anton





Comments