Busking it at Waterloo

Lorraine going to her personal trainer, then off to see Pat and Maureen. I was late leaving home, my disorganisation, and the general upsidedownness of the house during decoration not helping. On the train faffing about taking calls about a freelance job, while having to move away from two Bulgarians who were sat opposite each other were talk so loudly that when I moved, I could still hear them from the far end of the coach. A pleasant journey. Really warm pleasant day, though around Elstree there were autumnal leaves, and I pocketed a conker. Arrived late to meet Mum and Mas at The Waggon and Horses, already in its halloween array, and Mum was sat in front of fake spiderweb with quite realistic spiders. The window too had a transfer on it, that made it seem that bloody hands were pressed against it. Nice to see them. Mas, however, listing to starboard due to a back problem. Followed Mason's recommendation and had an excellent Caesar salad there. Fond farewells, and I walked back to Elstree station, and Mum and Mas zoomed by in their sporty car back to Edgware. 

Then to Blackfriars, where I got off and mooched about on the Southbank for a bit. The IBM building I used to work in is being rebuilt, but the pub The Mulberry Bush, I often lurked in with IBM pals such as Kate and Reuben still there. I sat in the Royal Festival Hall just to do some prep for Clare Best's book launch I was MC for in St John's Church. One of the readers, having sent me his bio, wanted it cut, etc. Normal stuff. Then messages from Clare saying she had been trapped on a motorway, and they were having to come by train and would be hideously late. 

I arrived at the venue, and lots of Clare's pals helping out. The readers were Peter Carpenter and Andrea Witzke Slot and we decided they should go on first. I went into jovial host mode and busked it. Made folks laugh, and I did a good job despite the circumstances. A decent audience of perhaps 60 people. Bumped into Tammy Yoseloff who I'd known since the 80s, and chatting to Martyn Crucefix, who I liked lots. Andrea Witzke Slot lovely too. 

Clare arrived towards the end of the interval, having taken 7 hours to travel 40 miles. She had planned her launch meticulously, and so being late for it must have be unbelievably stressful. She rallied wonderfully, read well from her excellent book Beyond The Gate (which I we'd talked about with her in the podcast). And looked great with a gold handbag and jazzy boots. So all well in the end. 

I slipped away early, to be sure of getting home with Robin and Jeremy. Cheery chat on the train, and as there was no train to Eastbourne so Robin had parked in Lewes and so gave me a lift home. Arrived at about 11:30 tired, and chatting to Lorraine for a moment on the phone, before tending to cats and changing their obnoxious litter. To bed just after midnight. A good day, but apart from lunch with Mum and Mas, and the journey home, felt quite stressed for much of it.

Hands at the Waggon and Horses.




Comments