A happy evening

Running about getting things ready for people coming over at 4pm. 

Dawn and Paul came, which was great as we hadn't seem them since their marriage. We all popped open a bottle or two of bubbly to toast them. They'd been on holiday to Berlin, and Copenhagen and Amsterdam and so on. It was great to be able to celebrate with them -- they gave me a succulent plant for my study, which I liked lots. Beth and James here too. The house move which had seemed dead in the water, now might have some life in it. It's the hope that kills you. They gave me a 'to a great stepdad' card, and a pair of excellent slippers. Julie came too, and brought me some socks, chocolates and a bottle of wine.  Anton, who had arrived first, brought me my own game of bones, manufactured in the USSR, plus a book on barbecuing, and a book he has been raving about called Papyrus -- and also a Guernsey ten shilling note from the year of my birth, and a Greek note from during the Nazi occupation. Anton uses old banknotes as bookmarks. 

A really cheery evening. Anton and Paul getting on famously, Lorraine had cooked up lots of lasagne -- veggie and beef -- and apple crumble, also had lots of cheese, thanks to Catherine and Tanya's delivery yesterday. Dawn also made a cheeky fruit cake. This all washed down with bubbly and wines. The Tobster called too briefly.

Another happy day with Lorraine and special people, and felt my own luck deeply.

Like an utter chump, forgot to take any photos of people, but did later take a snap of the ten bob note that Anton got me.



Comments