Soothed by Barking

Another poor night's sleep, with the raging ear keeping me awake. Continued to rage today, despite drops, so I spent much of the day on the gold sofa, feeling wan. I started afresh on Jane's book Barking Mad! and read it cover to cover. A perfect escapist read for a gentleman with a sore ear. More about Barking Mad! here. Also read a couple of stories by Clark Ashton Smith, who I read when I was a teenager. He has a florid style full of purple prose, but he taught me many words when I was a kid, and I am still driven to the dictionary when I read him. His vocabulary is extraordinary.

Otherwise rallied a little this afternoon and went for a walk with Lorraine around Blaker's Park. Lorraine understandably preoccupied by the decisions she has to take for her school. I am helping her as best I can, mainly by listening and talking things over.

Lorraine cooked a marvellous curry tonight, which was a thing of beauty. Beth lying low today, and sending out for Taco Bell. Lorraine and I watched a little TV, as you do. Gogglebox, an episode of Devs, Kermode and Mayo on TV talking about TV (what has the world come to) and Brooklyn 99. Then bed.

Comments