Old haunts and drinks with Mum

Up and chatting to Clem about the decking stairs before walking down to Brighton Station. Wrote a bit on the train, and caught the tube to Gunnersbury, and as I was early for the dentist, walked around enjoying Strand on the Green and its gardens full of flowers. I passed Grove Park Terrace, and Grove Park Road, where I lived and then along the river path to Kew Bridge. It realised again that I had been incredibly lucky in my life, as I have lived in some excellent places, even if I crammed in a bedsit for years.

At the dentist it was told I had broken a tooth, which is mostly filling anyway, if it goes again it will have to be capped. Half an hour of injections, scrapings and a bit of drilling. I am not bad at going to the dentist. They even have a screen overhead you can look at wildlife films. At the most mouth crammed bit, I watched several lions savaging each other.

Then, back into town with a numb face,  and I was early to meet mum so we mooched about Trafalgar Square, looking at the tourists and enjoying the spectacle, and someone silently showed me a card with 'my family all have medical problems' written on it, and a cupped hand. I looked at the man numbly and he went away.

To the Salisbury, my favourite central London haunt these days, where I met Mum for a long chat, and a few drinks. Chatted about human relationships, and the general oddness of people. Shortly before we left, we were chatting to two people from Minnesota, just arrived that morning. We explained they had to order their drinks at the bar, and they came back with a pint of guinness (her) and a pint of coke (him) and one plate of fish and chips, they were suspicious of the peas. We left them in peas and after fond farewells, I zoomed back to Brighton. All the connections miraculously joining up and I was home quickly. The decking almost done. Lorraine home, and we sloped off to the Preston Park Tavern, for a bite to eat and another pint. Home quite soon though, as Lorraine had had a very tiring week.

Below riverside flowers, Chiswick. A snap of the river on strand on the green, with part of Oliver's Island on the right, and the impressive The Invisible Enemy Should Not Exist, by New York artist Michael Rakowitz on the fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square.






Comments