Open to ideas

A bit sore throaty. But after working for a couple of hours in the morning, took myself for a long and wooded walk through the woods that are around the golf course at Hollingbury. Saw kestrels, and rabbits and generally revelled in being outside, apart from when I walked through a horde of stinging nettles. Home by 11, and I had already almost done my ten thousand paces, and a couple of hours of work.

I am mainly thinking laterally at the moment, and coaxing new ideas from my brain. I writing well, more of my new sequence of poems, which I am calling Consolations. I had a completely undisturbed day. Luxury. The final bits of the decking won't be done till next week, Clem told me today, as the joists for the bit running by the side of the house have not been delivered.

Reading Genesis in bed. It's a great way to send Lorraine to sleep, especially the bits were the names of sons are listed. I have read it before, obviously. I approach it as ancient literature, like The Epic of Gilgamesh. I like the King James version, and its influence on the way people talk and think in the English language is hard to overestimate. Was listening to Bob Marley the other day, and as he was so steeped in its language too, he comes across in songs like Exodus or The Heathen as an old testament prophet.

Cooked chickpea curry tonight and I watched a Sky at Night documentary about Planets. And when Lorraine came home, one about Galaxies. Astronomers must have good mental health I think, contemplating the truly infinitesimal place of earth in the scheme of things is probably helpful in keeping things in proportion.

Below the call of the open, just the far side of Hollingbury Hillfort and the golf course.


Comments