Sunrise and Klaudia's Confirmation

Up at an utterly appalling 4:25am, after a few hours sleep full of nightmares and ghastliness. Scrabbled around, amid confused cats, and found my suit, a tie, overcoat and my wedding shoes, and made off to the Church of St Nicholas. Arrived there at 5:15, having passed a few stragglers returning home after a night out. And and walked into the unlit church and was found by Oskar, and guided to the others by a woman with a little torch like an usherette. Joined up with Anton, Anna, Anne and Oskar, and of course Klaudia whose Confirmation it was this morning. Sitting in a darkened rustling church perfect for the post-nightmare mood.

The service started in darkness, with a fire lit at the back of the church and candles being lit one from the other as the day brightened all around the church. Readings from Genesis rather magical, although the Exodus bit about Pharaoh's army drowning, and celebrating over the dead bodies of the Egyptians washed up on the shore I find barbaric. My adorable God daughter seeming to enjoy the experience. I am not an atheist, but I have many reservations about the Church and did not go up to receive communion, which of course as an unbaptised heathen is not an option open to me. 

A bit of breakfast, a croissant, a hot cross bun and a cup of tea in the church. I enjoyed chatting to Anton's mum as usual, and to Anna who was looking well. A surprise glass of bubbly too. Then we walked back to Anna's place where I had a hobbit's second breakfast of a second hot cross bun.

I walked home then arriving at about 9:20 where I fed the cats and took Lorraine up a cup of tea, and slipped back into bed myself and had a much needed snooze. 

Up again and had my hobbit's third breakfast at noon, and had a fairly leisurely afternoon.

In the evening Lorraine and I went to The Duke of York's Picture House to see a rather splendid Irish Film called Calvary about a priest being threatened with death. Really enjoyed this, and rather apt to see it on Easter Sunday after a morning in church too.

Klaudia on her Confirmation day, and with The Bishop of Chichester who led the service, and whose sermon I rather enjoyed.





Comments