A fete better than death

Feeling in better health and my penny drop of recent days has allowed me to pull myself up by my bootstraps. I feel happier than I have felt in a long time. Helpful too that the steroid-induced paranoia and depression appears to have worn off and I am thinking straight again.

With Lorraine to the fete of the school she has been seconded to. Met a few of her pleasant colleagues, and saw children running about, or sitting behind stands offering free tattoo transfers, or challenges to assemble lego cars. I felt a bit like Dennis Thatcher or Prince Philip having to somehow radiate being responsible member of society in a supporting role. Met some of Lorraine's new colleagues (one fuming because some of the children had been helping themselves to the float money). There was one room with containers full of exotic animals, including an fat, obnoxiously-proportioned tarantula. I also enjoyed a hilarious display of local cheer leading. Whoever was guiding these girls forgot to tell them to smile. One particularly caught my eye, slouching through the routine with a downcast face, a very English cheerleader. The rain held off though.

Then Lorraine and I hoofed into Brighton, and spent some time mooching about the shops and Discovered a little Japanese Festival outside the Moshi Moshi restaurant. Lots of milling about, in a vaguely Japanese way, with various teenagers wearing Japanese inspired fashions and miming to Japanese pop music in states of high excitement. Some Japanese food there, and L and I had some delicious crunchy vegetable dumplings.

In the evening I took myself off for a quiet and cheery drink with Anton. As sometimes happens with Anton we had a two person book club, talking about the Steve Jobs book. Meanwhile he has been enthused by a book called The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking, and we even ended up talking about Buddhism as some of its thinking seems to derive from a Buddhist perspective. I am looking forward to reading it. Anton also disparaging, in an illuminating way, about social media (farcebook, LinkDim and Twit..er as he calls it).

Below is not my best shot.






Comments