Peace at last

At long last a peaceful night without coughing. Still resolutely deaf, sweaty and tired on waking, but this has to be a good thing. Now I'm at the stage of boredom but finding it difficult to focus on anything more taxing than sleeping and alphabetising poetry books. This of course, a deeply satisfying activity. We simply don't have enough bookcases for my books yet.

Betty called, sounding strangely like a chipmunk in the back of a bus, to report that she had survived a night on her own in the new house, and had been exploring Kingston. She was excited and happy. I hadn't expected that her experiences would take me back to my time at Warwick so strongly. I've been vividly recalling the journey up from London with two suitcases, and finding with delight I had a great room in halls, with its own sink and taps, which was a great novelty. I also recall how paranoid I was when my course started, when we were told that there seemed to be 21 people on the course, and they were only expecting 20. For weeks I expected a knock on the door and to be told apologetically that they'd made a mistake and I would have return home.

Spoke to Matt this afternoon, and he is incredibly busy: full of enthusiasm for Operas. Anna and Anton asking me out for beers, and I turned them down, feeling a bit sorry for myself, like the world was having fun, and I was sitting about with sweats and earache. Lorraine home and we crept across the road for a curry. Loved having a relaxed evening, and to talk things over with Lorraine. She is very excellent to talk to on all matters. Then home again early. The house very quiet without Betty.

Comments