Excitement at Sticky Mikes

Feeling more cheery. Worked hard sorting out my accounts so I can fish around for mortgages armed with up to date accounts. Turns out in the last tax year I earned a reasonable amount of money. This means lots of tax to pay this year though, which has been a bit leaner. Did a spot of work for the agency too.

The French Bloke's younger sister died. He put a note on facebook and I duly sent my condolences. He knew it was coming, but that makes it no easier. Put my own peeves into perspective.

In the evening, went out. I met Anton in the Great Eastern. Anton helpfully told me to put my deafness down to old age. And from there we set off jauntily to a club called Sticky Mikes. The Hi-Sides were playing there, and it was good to see John, Rick and Pete and see that their sheer exuberance of playing still communicates itself.

Having a deaf ear was almost an advantage in the noise of the club when the rock bands started. After the Hi-Sides there was a young three piece band called bizzarely Press To Meco, who blended interesting dynamics with a melodic and progressive metal edge, and great musicianship. Anton and I found ourselves chatting enthusistically with Luke, their guitarist and lead singer. I felt genuinely excited by rock band, which hasn't happened in a long time.

Anton and I popped next door for a beer. Then we joined the Hi-Sides who had repaired to the beer garden among the smokers. Anton and I then threaded through the streets, parting on Trafalgar Street. I succumbed to Ace Pizzas on the way home, which Betty says serves the best pizza in Brighton, and is handily a hundred yards or so from where we live. A reprehensible episode guzzling a late night American Hot. Did me good to let of some steam though.

Comments