Off to Guernsey

Any day I fly to Guernsey is a good day. Our flight was at six so spent the day running about sorting the house out for Pat and Maureen's stay, and collecting together all the things I need to take, and packing books into cases and hoping that Lorraine would make it back from work in time. Also went to the gym. In the end, all well. And the journey to Gatwick fine. Was cringing about the heavy cases, stuffed with 160 copies of Defenders of Guernsey but in the event didn't have to pay extra for them. I like Auringy, and any plane that has a giant puffin on it gets my vote. However there was a chartered replacement from another airline today, and the pilot flew in eccentrically to the island and landed heavily. Rather pleased to be on dry land.

Reading about the Literary Festival in the Guernsey Press while mid-air. Richard and I were mentioned as 'local scribes', still it was better than nothing, which is what we have previously received from the Press.

Lungfuls of fresh air outside the airport, and Lorraine and I were waiting for a taxi when Richard appeared. An unexpected pleasure, and he drove us to La Barbarie but didn't stop as he and Jane are in a frenzy of pre-festival activity.

Checking-in I gave Andrew the owner of the hotel a copy of Defenders of Guernsey, which has a mention of La Barbarie in it. A very warm welcome. I had booked a larger room this time too. Once the cases were dumped, Lorraine and I thought it rude not to have a pint of Rocquette in the bar, and then snap into the most delicious pork belly I have ever tasted.

Comments