A town full of poets

Insomnia: woke at 1am and did not sleep again till 6am. While I at last snoozed, Lorraine stole away, had breakfast, and returned with with a bacon sarnie in a bag. Groggily up and hoofed onto the bus into town. Popped into the library with three copies of Defenders of Guernsey. The librarian Maggie recognised me, and was pleased to take the books. Then Richard and I gave our final reading from A Guernsey Double in the inflatable hub in the Market. Catriona was press-ganged into introducing us. I felt more pleased with my reading today, though we found it noisier than our previous sessions, but I think we were both more relaxed. Bloney motorbikes. A small but select audience, including the poet Caroline Carver and Marylin, aka Guernsey Girl, who I have met through blogging. Caroline was kind enough to buy our book.

Lorraine, and I joined Richard and Caroline in Richard’s van and went up to Elizabeth College, which I had never been in before, where Caroline was doing a reading and a workshop, which was introduced by Jane. Beautiful view from the room at the top of the building. Listened to her intriguing reading, and returned the favour by buying her book Three Hares too, which she dedicated to 'Peter, a lovely poet', which was kind of her.

Lorraine and I then walked back to St Martin's parish from town in the bright sun. We stopped in the Criox Guerin for a bite to eat and a glass of crisp lager. Back to the hotel and a doze, with half an eye on the FA cup final, won by Manchester City. Then met Lesley and Derrek for a meal in La Barbarie. Before the meal, Andrew Coleman asked if I minded him mentioning A Guernsey double in the email he sends to his hundreds of regular guests. He didn’t have to bend my arm very hard.

I had a Thai curry which, although delicious, substituted coconut milk with local cream. Derrek drove us back into town and we attended the event organised by Jane in the town church, with all the bus prize winning poets (some big names among them) and Olivia Chaney singing. A very entertaining and successful night with some good poetry, and Olivia's stunning voice. She sang an eclectic mix: old folk songs, her own material, and bits from opera. Sitting in the lovely old Town Church in this way was a pretty good way to spend Saturday night. Derrek and Lesley, who I really like, drove us home. Lorraine suddenly enthused by Derrek about folk music. A nightcap with my lovely Lorraine in the bar of the Barbarie, reflecting in a tired way on another great day.

Below Richard and I, the Laurel and Hardy of Guernsey poetry, in the hub disagreeing with some enjoyment about La Gran'mère, Caroline Carver reading in the Church, and Olivia Chaney singing barefoot.



Comments