Kick off

Up early and a light breakfast before jumping on the bus to go into town. From there walked north along the shining Belle Greve Bay till I reached the BBC buildings. Riccardo outside and we marched in shoulder to shoulder. A lovely chat with Jenny as usual and we had a good 25 minutes on the JKT show with her. She is a lovely broadcaster, and we got in a great plug for Defenders of Guernsey too. Jenny has been consistently fabulous to Richard and myself. It's great to be with Richard too, we are developing into something of double act.

Into town then, and Richard and I sloped off to the hub, which was on Market Terrace, and looked great. Lots of people to chat to, and I met Gabi who edits Island Ink, for the first time. Lorraine arrived as I was mid networking fury. She and I snuck away to Dixneuf for French bistro where I consumed the French speciality fish and chips.

Kick off for Richard and I, reading from A Guernsey Double in the hub. A well attended reading, and we biffed through several poems with gusto. People listening really attentively, which is always great to see. Lorraine cried three times, the sweetie. Afterwards Lorraine and I went for coffee with her pals Derrek and Lesley. Derrek’s story is very similar to mine, and he and Lesley love Guernsey, and so really tune into my poems.

Found myself feeling a bit hyper, so Lorraine took me to the harbour, where we relaxed in the sun, and watched fat mullet ghost about in the water. I also bought a tie and we attended the Gold Sponsor’s reception outside the hub.

Lots of pink wine, and chatting to several people, including the sponsors. Met Annie Barrows the co-author of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, as well as Mary Anne Shafer’s daughter and son in law, who were all very nice, felt secretly guilty that I don't really like the book.

Talking to Catriona, and Jason Monahan, who runs the local museum who I’d first met a few years ago. Lots of local worthies and likeable folks from Barclays Wealth who sponsored the whole thing milling about too. All good fun.

Jane collected Richard, Lorraine and myself, all of whom had been ambushed somewhat by the pink wine. I took the sensible precaution of having a glass of cider once at the Barbarie before biffing off to bed.

You can hear Richard and I talking to Jenny Kendall-Tobias here for a day or so more from 1.09.

Below Jane introduces Richard and I in the Barclays Wealth Hub in Guernsey.

Comments