A new start for the US

Floating about feeling smiley today, partially because of US election. It is important to everyone of course, but I was even more interested this year because of knowing the US much better than I did, having been there a lot in recent years.

Lots of work. Up at 7 to finish FB work and send it through before official day started. Then onto my leafy Surrey pharma work. Reading through all that needs to be done (about 100 web pages by the looks of it) and chatting to Jamie who will be my point of contact. Also had chats with Anton, and with Mum. Also a kitten teleconference with their cat (still un-named though Mason has helpfully suggested fuzz-nuts and dip stick) listening to Calliope purring on my shoulder.

Talked to Mas about US election which he has mixed feelings about having identified with McCain. I think John McCain to his immense credit, showed his true colours in the way he took his defeat: with enormous dignity, and a message of unity.

In the evening Lorraine came by and I cooked a chicken, then we watched endless news about Obama, while fireworks rumbled in the distance (for Guy Fawkes night, not an Obama thing). I randomly bought his autobiography Dreams from my father in a US airport several years ago. So I knew about him before he was a contender. His election is inspiring, but it will be tough for him I think with the weight of all that expectation on his shoulders.

But this result re-establishes some moral authority for the US after enduring the most abysmal US administration ever. Above all it is a vindication of the efforts of black people in the US in their struggle for equality and freedom. It is an inspiration to everyone.

Comments