A Sunday in Brighton

Up surprisingly early today. Went on a reconnaissance mission to a local car boot sale where Anna had made £80 the week before. Not a single thing I wanted there, but nevertheless interesting. Time to eye up things that I might be able to get rid of, as I have a hoarding streak and not much space.

Back to Lorraine's place to feed her cats Brian and Basil, one of whom had registered disapproval by being sick on the carpet. I checked Beth's aquarium. Then we walked down to the sea where dark clouds and patches of sun created dramatic light effects. Stopped at the meeting point for a cup of splosh, and a shared rock cake.

Walking home past the clock tower there was a horrid accident just behind us. The sickening thud of a body going under a bus. We walked back as Lorraine wanted to check (as a former ward sister she may have been able to help) but there was someone there doing the right things. Normally in emergencies I try to help, but this one I'm ashamed to say, made me feel shaken, and wanting to leave as fast as possible. Poor woman was trapped and mercifully unconscious as far as I could see. Quite a bit of blood. Thankfully, as we turned away the emergency services could already be heard approaching.

I then went to the gym again for another light workout and felt mighty fine for it too, while Lorraine did some ghastly work on a Sunday afternoon. I am actually enjoying going to the gym. Although am still amateurish and there are women half my size and twice my age lifting weights twice as heavy as me.

Then off to the Battle of Trafalgar for a good Sunday roast, and pints of Harveys, and all was well with the world. We were looking at all the pubs pictures and paraphernalia. Its large Elvis playing guitar, its pictures of naval battles and cricket players and so on. I wonder if anyone has studied the contents of pubs in Brighton, and made some interpretation about what it says about the soul of the city. Maybe I should do that. It was a lovely end to the weekend. After Lorraine went home, and I spent a dozy quiet Sunday night with Calliope snoozing on me as I watched match of the day.

Below a moment of darkness over the sea.

Comments

Anonymous said…
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/3851921.Woman_hit_by_bus/