A new broom

Today was a Doing Things day. Lorraine had a bathroom and toilet that had been stripped and waiting for paint for some months, so I suggested we simply did it. Off to B&Q where I ended up buying a new broom, while Lorraine bought paint. Then back to her place for a couple of hours of filling holes in walls with polyfilla, sanding painting and so on. I quite enjoyed standing about with cups of splosh, a copy of The Sun rolled up under my arm, and my trousers revealing the top of my posterior in the approved workman style. Also gave me the opportunity for coarse jokes about standing on stools in the toilet as I rollered the top of the walls. All in all a much-needed break from staring at screens and thinking about serious medical conditions. Painting walls is very therapeutic.

Meanwhile Sam was lurking about with his new girlfriend called Ash, and sporting industrial-strength love bites. He seemed very cheery and attentive, which was good to see. I also saw his little tattoo of two feathers on his wrist, which was actually rather cool.

Off in the evening to meet Lorraine's pals Jess and Andrew in an Indian restaurant called the Ashoka in Hove.

Jess works in a school with children with all kinds of special needs. She teaches a class of four kids, who are all in wheelchairs and only one is able to speak. It was inspiring to hear her talk about the school, and the children there, and she has invited me to visit. This is something way outside my experience, and it would be tremendously interesting to meet the children, and learn more about what goes on there. Andrew is an accountant, and I asked him how the recession is hitting from his viewpoint, and he said that however a business is doing it needs an accountant, and that actually most of his clients were still doing well.

Home in a taxi as it was a cold night. As I flagged down the cab, I bumped into Amanda whose cat-themed party Lorraine and I went to the other day and I asked how Anil was, and she told me she didn't know because they weren't together any more. Had to jump into the cab, at this point, but I was sorry to hear that.

Home to an excitable kitten and a warming nip of sloe gin.

Comments