A jar of delights

Calliope now consistently wakes me at 7. I find having a kitten stand on your head purring loudly is infinitely preferable to a blaring alarm.

Got a text from Beth saying that Sushi the Siamese fighting fish had expired. I called her briefly feeling vaguely responsible. I have no idea why her fish are dying as in my fishkeeping experience she had done everything right. It brings the child out in Beth who got the tank as a 17th birthday present. Having named all of the fish, she takes each loss hard.

Actually made some good progress today on the hogsite and felt that, it might actually end one day. A glimmer of hope as I rewrote copy about erection problems. Also spoke to nice folks in the FB's agency to ensure I will get paid for that job.

Had a Guernsey bean jar on the go, filling the house with earthy beany warm smells. The comforting aroma must have inspired the kitten too, judging by the way she had to be restrained from climbing into the hot oven when I opened it. She gobbled a sample down and, although this may have been a political move on her part, it made me feel happy. It was one of my better bean jars and I had two bowls of it with white pepper and thick brown bread. A proper winter warmer.

Anton and I due to be out again tonight, but he had to cancel as he felt ill, which I was quite grateful of. Quietly lurking about this evening, and reading The Box of Delights by John Masefield which is a wonderful and Christmassy children's book I often read this time of year. It is not entirely successful as a book and the plotting unusual but the way the magic weaves itself into the story is wonderfully handled, and it is full of Christmas too. If you never read it, you'd be mad not to do so now.

Comments