Into an ancient tomb

Breakfast with Mum and then a bit of writing, before we headed off to the west coast. Really making progress with my poetry manuscript now. And it seems much more that the sum of its parts and I am finding it enjoyable now, after having a bit of an annoying time with it earlier in the week when I seemed to be going backwards the more work I put into it.

We caught a bus to the west coast of Guernsey, which is flat and rocky, with big sandy beaches. After pausing for a cup of tea, we walked along a coastal path for several miles, occasionally falling into conversation with people. At 4 o'clock we found a stand where we bought chips. Mum had hers with cheese. We got talking to the owner and her friend and a Guernsey biker. The owner loved flying, while the other two had only been as far as England. Then we walked onto L'Ancresse Common which is grassy and gorsey and doubles as a golf course. It is also home to all kinds of ancient tombs.

We climbed into one, La Varde, a megalithic passage grave (built somewhere between c4000-2500 BC according to the sign next to it) which looked inky and dark at its mouth. I had to crouch to get through its low opening. As usual in these places on Guernsey there was some vaguely occult graffiti inside.

Otherwise I enjoyed the views from L'Ancresse, which is far less familiar to me than the South of the island.

Then a slightly galling business of waiting for buses which after some time we worked out did not come to this part of the island at this time of year. But we got home easily, after I had shared with mum some of my opinions about waiting for buses.

In the evening out with Ben and Poppy again at the Bella Luce hotel. They are both very nice and interesting to talk to, as before. However for some reason I was feeling rather nauseous, and was wondering if I would have to break off from our meal and chat, to rush into the toilet to spew. So was happy to get home.

But a really good day.
Below a view north from L'Ancresse Common, the entrance to La Varde, and shots from inside with Mum entering in an intrepid way. Interior shots taken with a flash as it was pretty dark in there...












Comments