A Chiswick Tanuki

This week is becoming rather lively. Work a bit fraught for the first couple of hours and then settled down. Innocently about my business in the afternoon when Matty called. He'd been in the River Cafe strapping on an expensive nosebag. I met him from work. He is between jobs at the moment, and has a new one starting in the new year. And there was lots to tell each other.

As Matt lives next to The Bull's Head we zoomed to Chiswick and had a meal in there. However I was scalded in the mouth by some mashed potatoes which had been microwaved to the temperature of molten lava. When I mentioned this to the Hungarian waitress who Matty had been flirting with, she began to argue fiercely that they did not microwave etc. until it made me briefly very cross indeed. She came back later with an apology and some free wine, so all was well. And Matty and I had a good time chatting. We are planning a tour of Lewes boozers in the not too distant future, as Matt has a wealth of experience in them.

Then Matty, who'd been refreshing himself steadily since noon, left suddenly for bed. Fortunately we'd been joined by a nice guy called Graham who I chatted with about Japan for a bit.

Below I walked to the station in Chiswick feeling somewhat refreshed too, when I saw a nice hedgehog hurrying across the pavement. This made me think of the hedgehog's cousin the Tanuki, which in turn made me think of this photo I took of Hiroko in Japan with two Tanukis. Tanukis are jolly drinking things that bring you good luck, and I noticed them everywhere I went in Japan.

Comments