Dans Le Noir?

Interesting night out, with the healthcare homies from the agency. Went to Dans Le Noir? a novel restaurant. When I was told that we were going to go to a restaurant where you ate in complete darkness I thought it sounded like a terrible night out, especially as I was feeling rather tired. But it wasn't.

The start of the evening was pure David Lynch: led in by a blind black waiter wearing shades. We walked down a short corridor lit by a single red light. We were walking in line with our hands on the person in front's shoulder. Mine was on the waiter's shoulder and Al was behind me. Shuffling on we pushed through sets of heavy black drapes into a room of absolute dark.

Although I collect phobias like other people collect stamps, I am not actually scared of the dark. But something in me quailed momentarily on entering the pitch black room, full of chattering diners, where you literally could not see your hand before your face. Al laughing nervously behind me. I just thought of Guernsey and how I like the dark and was okay.

Then we were shown to our seats on a low bench table. I found that it was important to talk to people. Talking to people feels safe. Mike F and I happened to be sitting at the end of our group next to another group of women. I got chatting to a nice lady called Natalie. Quite strange to have what was quite a wide ranging conversation and have no idea of what that person looked like. Her party left well before we did so the mystery will remain forever.

I suppose there are millions of cyber encounters like this. Although you can't actually rub shoulders with the person over the Internet.

After a while I began to forget I was in the dark. By the end I was actually really enjoying the experience and felt a bit sad to be leaving. If nothing else an insight into what it must be like to be profoundly blind. The food was nice too, but again it made you realise just how much of the enjoyment of food is visual.

After this we all had a fast drink in the pub next door, and then I walked to the station with Helen, and jumped on a train and headed home to Brighton, noticing how even at night the world is full of light.

Comments