A ghost of Christmas past

A sluggish start. Kitchen full of the stale smell of the half-uneaten chips I had bought in the middle of the night.

More of the same today. Cancelled night out with Katie. Went out to lunch with Trace and some other friends for more dissecting of recent agency events. Trace a bit cheerier than she was. All this put in perspective though, when I heard about a colleague Mike Ferg who, with huge great good humour, positivity and resilience, has been going through chemotherapy for the last year or so. He just had a great holiday and has come back to discover cancer yet again. Just heartbreaking for him.

Wonderful to be heading home early tonight. Listening to the last bits of my Plato audiobook and trying to keep my eyes open on the train. Home to sip mineral water, and drink tea before an early night. A difficult week - with little or no time to reflect on my own much more cheerful news. I feel very lucky and even more determined to make the most of my opportunties.

Meanwhile power shifted today from Tony Blair to Gordon Brown as the new Prime Minister. I think it was because Blair was so promising, that the disappointment about him is so bitter. The only time I saw him in the flesh was a few months after his election. He was in the street out on the South Bank, and we had all been shuffled out of the office to see him when I worked at IBM. He stopped quite close to where I was standing, and preparing for a TV interview. I remember feeling surprised at just how tense and nervous he appeared before the cameras began filming.


Below at around the same time Reuben, First Matie and me worked together at IBM in something called the copy shop. Reuben found this recently, the shots from which we made our our Christmas card as a slightly shambolic three kings.


Comments

helloagol said…
Nice tie. ;p Have you repurposed your ties since you don't have to wear them now? I'll start it off.

Top 10 things to do with your old ties --
1) Use them to tie a low line across the Twitten to trip unsuspecting drunken sods late at night.

You've got 9 more to go...
Unknown said…
three and a half kings and one princess