A day in the life

Trying to work on a poem about Magravine Cemetery on the train this morning. But these lines from the old Beatles song, the McCartney bit in A day in the life, kept going around my head instead:

Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,and
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream.

I am on the cusp of quite far-reaching decisions, and I find myself going into a dream on my commute and at work. Funny how the jukebox of your mind suddenly accesses a tune every now and then, and plays it as clearly as if you had just heard it a few seconds before.

Work again a bit bitty, working on 6 different things during the day. Slipped out for a 40 minute walk at lunchtime along the river. A mostly quiet afternoon, where me and the Gnome had a chance to chat about music. He played me, and Trace who popped by for a gossip, some early Scott Walker, which I'd not heard before.

Home and listening to my audiobook Martian Time Slip again. I really am enjoying it. Philip K Dick must have been on some interesting pharmaceuticals. The environment isn't particularly realistic (it was published in 1964) and his Mars has canals and humanoid aliens resembling aboriginal Australians and breathable but thin air. It also plays around with non-linear time. And the character's mental aberrations and hallucinations are convincing and make the whole book strange and interesting...

And then the ticket collector asked to see my ticket, and I went into a dream.

Comments