Muffins for breakfast

Aroused from bed by Anton and Klaudia knocking on the door, and bearing some tasty home made muffins with blueberries. Klaudia had drawn a card too -- an abstract design with lots of purple and plenty of tasteful white space. Anton explaining how the blueberries were healthy and packed full of vitamin C, and the virtues of Internet radio.

Feeling disconnected today. More coughing blood, and more telephone reassurances from doctors. And if anything I feel less lively today than yesterday. Spent the day on my gold sofa, watching DVDs on my laptop. The last of my Twin Peaks episodes and the film Don't Look Now by Nick Roeg, which is a wonderful film. Hungry for beautiful images at the moment, although they made off season Venice seem very washed out and sinister.

My only positive activity of the day in between dozing and feeling wussy was writing a one hundred word short story for a competition run by BBC Radio 4's Front Row programme. The hundred words have to include six from David Lynch which were bacon, bodies, experiments, fire, paper and organic. I sent something in. I took the Twin Peaks coincidence as a good omen.

Agent Cooper is one of my all time favourite characters. On the extras on the DVD they have an interview with Mark Frost who said the original idea was to have a sort of Sherlock Holmes character, but they then added in the Jungian and Freudian bits to his modus operandi. One of my all time favourite scenes is the one where after lecturing the Sheriff, Hawk, Andy, and Lucy about Tibet he throws a series of rocks at a bottle to determine who is the most important suspect beginning with J.

Sarah also ill, so there was a good deal of companionable transatlantic snuffling and snickering during the day.

Tess, who was my girlfriend when I was 16, called today. She was in Brighton with her husband, but I was unable to meet them for obvious reasons. Apparently, however, they are enjoying Brighton and will be back which is nice.

Comments