Off to Canada. Frenzied and end-of-tetherish this morning but got to Gatwick in good time sporting the stocking-like flight socks. Wearing these made me picture crash investigators trying to identify the remains of a large transvestite.

I never thought the influence of the Lord of the Rings would extend to aircraft design but it is an inescapable fact that Air Transat plane seats have been designed to accommodate hobbits. By a stroke of wonderful fortune, however, the seat next to me was empty, despite the plane being full.

The crew, however, were efficient and cheery.

Journey fairly turbulent. The woman the other side of the gap was quite chatty, however, which seemed to help. She had been a nurse and like Toby had studied at McGill, and said that Toby had got it made being a PhD high school teacher. Provoked no doubt by the passenger seating she suggested I see the musical of Lord of the Rings while I was in town. We had a lively conversation after I pointed out that musicals are the work of the devil.

Also listened to three Radio 4 podcasts which is curiously calming. If I closed my eyes I was able to picture myself listening at home, rather than bucking and plunging over the Atlantic in a cramped tube of squashed humanity and bendy metal. Managed to doze off for a few minutes and drank no boozes and took no pills during the flight, which is good. I am getting better at this flying business. But it is very small steps.

Got to Toby and Romy's place with ease. A friendly Greek taxi driver manifested himself as I stepped out from airport and he took me there in about 25 minutes.

Let myself in and alarmed Meaty the cat who ran about stiff-legged and saucer-eyed. I think the fact I knew her name freaked her too. Found a comfortable chair in their breakfast room overlooking the garden and read my unchallenging airport book as a massive thunderstorm broke out and hailstones stung and bumped on the windows. Meanwhile Meaty, flinching at the thunder, gradually inched closer to me before deciding to lick my hand and give me a welcoming bite.

Toby arrived and we sat about drinking tea and enjoyably catching up for a couple of hours. Got a guided tour of the house, which is fab. Lots of wood, and art and soothing colours and a real solidity, charm and character about the place. Just lovely. I will put some photos on when I get back to Blighty.

It inspired me to get my act together on my place now I know I am staying in Brighton.

Meaty saw Toby's homecoming as the signal to burst into life; scuttling and leaping, scrabbling up doorframes like spiderman while yowling and vocalising. Toby demonstrated the ball game where you throw a ball up the stairs and Meaty retrieves it like a dog after flinging herself about at impossible speeds. Toby said he has to leave the house sometimes as her demands for attention get too much. I suggested he needed to alpha male it more.

Gave Toby Anton's present of a packet of pork scratchings.

Lovely to see Romy. She has been working hard and hideous hours lately, but she came home at a reasonable time today and set about cooking a slap up feast as Toby and me set about the important business of drinking cans of beer and watching her cook. She made some yummy Japanese dumplingy parcel things called gyoza which she said the Japanese had improved from an original Chinese recipe.

After turning myself into a Japanese dumpling we all went for a short stroll around the neighborhood, which has some lovely houses and feels really safe and nice. Then tiredness hit and we sloped back home and I took myself happily to bed.

Comments