Off to meet Sophie and Andros and their nippers Christof and Electra (who I still think has the best name of all people I know). Usual Brighton liveliness. Heard this mad funky drumming and turned the corner and there were twenty silver haired ladies laying down a bangin' chune. Paused to photograph them but they were already melting away, as I did so spotted the orcs walking through the park.

Waiting for Sophie by the pier was quite amused to see a loud protest outside the Seaworld centre. "Stop the seal and otter prison" was their message (repeated ad nauseam) as the aquarium now has seals and otters in it. Torn between thinking it good that they were bothered, and that there were more important things going on in the world. But instead of debating the rights and wrongs of the issue as I waited, I amused myself by thinking it was otter madness, and questioning if their fate had been sealed etc. etc. If weak puns were ever under threat I would be taking to the streets that's for sure.

Andros hates funfairs so sloped off to have a coffee and a read of his paper and Sophie and me took the kids to the fair. It always does my heart good to see Sophie. Proceeded to get some driving practice in by going on the dodgems with the kids. Then went on this thing called Wild River jumping aboard a canoey log thing with Christof and Electra. It was a water splash which was brave (for me) although the kids did it as if it were nothing. One existential moment of uncertainty before the big splash but actually rather fun, although my teeshirt was soaked afterwards.

The watersplash business proved to be a tactical error as they started pleading with me to go on all kinds of horrors. Electra said a piteous "please" about 100 times but I am afraid I didn't succumb. Christof who is 12 went on some utterly bloodcurdling things.

After this met up with Andros and spent a happy few hours chatting and drinking pots of tea and then slipping into Cafe Rouge for a bite. Andros is really good fun, and the kids are excellent. The family were staying in Hove, and Andros took the kids back, and Sophie and I had a slow walk back by the sea talking about families and Buddhism and friendship as a just-past-full salmon pink moon rose behind us over the water.

Comments