Sunday night and feeling cheery as I have no work tomorrow. Tomorrow, if the gods of white goods are with me, I will take delivery of a washing machine which will quell the evolution of those things rustling in my laundry basket.

Have been taking walks at lunchtime by the river, and the sea in the evening. There must be something about water. I read a book last year which suggested that humans went through an aquatic phase in our evolution. I can believe it.

Have had a pleasant weekend. It was Baby Klaudia’s birthday today, and celebrated on Saturday going out for lunch with Brian, (who is also Cloud’s Godfather) Anna and Anton to a restaurant called The Strand. They attached a little chair to the side of the table for Clouds and we tucked into some lovely grub. Me and Anton both opted for scallops on a bed of vegetarian haggis which was exceptionally good. In between courses Clouds was passed around the table for squeezes. Then she was put back in her chair and focused her energies on depositing things like florets of broccoli, serviettes, and spots of drool from the table onto the floor.

That morning I had bought a framed print of a Gustav Klimt painting of a birch wood. I love his early landscapes; they are on the edge of abstraction but still fairly naturalistic. Amazing use of pattern and colour. I got it home and it looked excellent over my mantelpiece: I had found the focal point of my living room. It waited for me to return from the celebratory lunch and some more shopping before launching itself from the mantelpiece. Its glass burst into a thousand pieces. After cursing and grinding teeth etc. for a while I went to find my vacuum cleaner. This refused point blank to work. As I realised that objects were in revolt I knew that any further activity would be futile and left in disgust.

Evening spent with Brian, Anton and Anna. Anton evangelising about a new and fabulously expensive arm he has for his record player. This talk was illustrated by playing lots of his records which sounded to me exactly the same as with the old arm.

This morning I awoke early, swept up the thousand pieces of glass and painted things white. Oddly the vacuum cleaner, not moved from where I had kicked it last night, returned to life. Beautiful morning. Back up the road to watch Baby Clouds open her presents and eat some birthday cake. We all went for a short walk in the park and watched Clouds enjoying the swings. I bought her a wheeled wooden snail that she seemed to enjoy.

Spent in the afternoon walking happily about town in the sun buying essentials like organic chicken and a thing to stand my toothbrush in.

Comments