2005 finds me in very good spirits. I have been quite self-centred lately, and have really enjoyed a little quiet time.

The tsunami of course is on everyone's mind. I was on honeymoon in Sri Lanka and knowing one of the places really brought it home to me. The destruction wrought on people's lives doesn't bear thinking about. But there are so many running sores in the world, especially in Africa.

My friend Fraser has also been much on my mind, being in hospital due to a recurrence of the heart problem he had earlier this year which required him to have a valve fitted. When I was visiting him the other day it was impossible to ignore the photos of his beautiful one year old daughter. I am comforted by the fact he is a strong and positive person and is in good hands.

I have been writing again, which has come as a great relief. Working on something called The Secret Life of the Mighty Thor, an early version of which is on my Sixth Fingers site. (A site I need to completely revamp). Have transformed the rambling early draft into a radio script. Also working on a secret project I am calling The Pamphlet.

Have enjoyed my time staying with Mum and Mason, especially lurking companionably up in the loft with my Mother. Me struggling with The Mighty Thor or playing pacman (current inane obsession, 25 years after everyone else) as my mother painted glass, cropped pictures to fit her new portfolio, and generally went about the business of being artistic.

Living with people again has been fun, although I am very much looking forward to moving to my new house in Brighton on Thursday. I can't believe this is going to happen, on the 12th day of Christmas too! The next week or so is going to be busy especially as I have to go into the Agency tomorrow and the next day.

What a good start to the year.

The solitary blot on the horizon at the moment is my back. I have been in continual pain for weeks now. It is at its worst at night and sometimes it is impossible to sleep. It has been responsible for making me miss Anton and Anna's new year's party too in Brighton. Although I'm certain my liver and kidneys have been squirming with gratitude.

I shall go to my new chiropractor again tomorrow. My heart sank when I met her last week as she is light and willowy. If you are going to have your back cracked it should be by a woman who looks like an East German shot putter with a voice like Frank Bruno. She was a tryer though, folding my arms and legs and flinging herself at me in an attempt to pop my wretched vertebrae.

Have read little, although I have had plenty of opportunity. Not been able to find a reading book. Although I read The curious incident of the dog in the night time by Mark Haddon within half a day, and enjoyed it immensely. I'd never read anything like it, and it was a fascinating glimpse into the mind of someone with Asperger's Syndrome. Read some of the Bond book Goldfinger out of curiosity. Trash of course, but an insight into a certain side of masculine fantasy I suppose. The casual racism and was particularly offensive too. Got too bored to continue and skipped huge chunks of an interminable golf game between Bond and Goldfinger.

For golf, as everyone knows, is a good walk spoiled.


Comments