Move to Brighton finally accomplished. Not without the theme of delays and frustrations continuing to the last moment. On Thursday, the day the house became mine at noon. The contemptible vendors were so disorganised that they didn’t quit the place until 5:20 pm. I got extremely stressed and angry that afternoon. However Anna distracted me by taking me for a walk in a local park with Baby Klauds.

When I finally gained entry it came as big relief. Am really happy with my new little house. It is down a picturesque little alley called Camden Terrace. But there is lots of work to be done. The rooms were painted in bizarre colours. Turquoisey blue, brown and lemon yellow in the main room. Three clashing greens and one blue in the kitchen and so on. Next day the delivery people were moaning and unpleasant too. However it is now all over. So far I have spent most of my time painting things white to establish a blank canvas and let the colour of the wooden floors assert itself.

This morning I bought a cooker, washing machine and fridge which will be delivered later in the week. This a comparatively painless process, greatly helped by Anna and Anton. They have also fed me large meals every night and driving me around and showing me places to buy stuff. On Saturday Anton and I had a few beers in several of my local pubs: The Caxton, The Duke of Wellington, The Tin Drum and another with loads of pots hanging from the ceiling. We played a game of pool and generally hung out. A great night.

Flashes of real excitement and happiness amid all the painting and decorating. Yesterday I enjoyed standing by the sea for half an hour with my back to Brighton and watching the grey waves surging in past the west pier, which looks like a sculpture made of giant spent matchsticks since it burnt down (twice). A cold wind was blowing in off the channel but it was a bracing antidote to paint fumes. Blew the cobwebs away as my Grandmother would have said.

Walking back from the beach I encountered half a dozen Rotarians waving buckets and wanting donations for the Tsunami appeal. I am very worried about Shaila my old friend from school days. We’ve seen each other a couple of times in the last couple of years, and we went out for a meal a month ago. I feel fairly certain that she told me that she was off to Phuket for her usual Christmas beach holiday with her husband and two boys. We don’t keep in regular contact but I have texted and emailed her and heard nothing. I’m hoping that there is nothing to fear.

On a happier note I talked to Toby tonight and he was telling me little about his trip with Romy to Cuba just before Christmas and then their journey back out to good old Deviation Road in snowy Ontario just after. His teaching job is becoming a bit easier thankfully. And they are looking forward to moving into a new place in Toronto. Also spoke to my Mum and Mase who will come to inspect my new residence shortly.

Off to bed now as I am shattered from hard work and the sleep deprivation that comes with my dratted back pain. Must get that sorted.

Comments