Prayers

Up at 6 am and off to Strawberry Hill today, near Teddington to attend a staff conference of the Christian charity I'd pitched to a few weeks ago. It was held on the campus of St Mary's University, which was small but attractive. An absorbing day with everyone there motivated, sincere and positive. They are an organisation of storytellers in the best way and I spent the entire day talking or listening.

It was interesting to observe how prayer was continually being woven into what they do, starting and ending each presentation with a prayer, for example. Particularly struck by seeing two people having what looked like a standard work discussion outside, but ending their informal meeting with a prayer. One nice woman I spoke to called Alice even said she would pray for me. They also sang a good deal and I melted away at the end as they lustily sung the day to a close.

I made my way to Hammersmith where I met First Matie, Matt and Isy, and little Elsa outside the Blue Anchor by Hammersmith Bridge, a familiar old haunt for a few beers and a catch up outside in the hot sun. It also gave me the opportunity to meet First Matie's Nick for the first time. I liked him, and he was from Hull like the Maestro Pollard.

Fond farewells to all, and I made it home quite easily, jumping on a bus to Barnes, and simply training it from there. Not sure why this option never occurred to me when I was working in Glamoursmith, but there you go. Home to my lovely wife. A long, but interesting, day.


Comments