Opera and academia

Off this afternoon to see Helen in Hove. She played some sketches based on the words I'd given her last week, and then we spent a couple of hours discussing the overall structure of our Centaur-based opera and adding to pieces of paper I'd typed up for each section. This very helpful to both of us.

Then I left Helen and went to Starbucks to lap up a coffee and work for an hour before heading off to Sallis Benney, where there was an early evening talk organised by The University of Brighton by Ken Eklund who creates games that make people think about future climate issues, which was interesting. It was one of those events that due to the seating it was impossible to escape from. I found myself among academics and sitting next to an academic and writer called Gilly Smith, who I chatted with a bit. The talk itself was fairly interesting, and I liked the speaker's ideas but I found myself a little underwhelmed by creativity others seemed amazed by.  I did another post about that here.

Home to my lovely wife, to tell her all about it and and eat a couscous-based fishy delight. Laura around this evening, and her and Beth in double act mode, which is always good value.

Today was the Tobster's birthday, and we chatted last thing for half an hour or so, my end mostly watching meaty the cat washing herself while we spoke. He and Romy are heading down to South America again soon.

Comments