An inch of chaos

Off to Tavistock Square. Brighton station in the morning had taken the precaution of cancelling trains before the snow arrived. The train delayed of course, but only by fifteen minutes as it slunk northward through the frosty fields. When I arrived in St Pancras, it was snowing in London.

A morning of fiddly work on cat worms, with a nice Spanish woman Yaiza, who I'd not seen for a while. She was telling me about her Christmas meals in Spain, the rice, huge pots of vegetables and mixed meats that everyone dips into. She was almost drooling.

Travel woe percolated through computer screens and the TV in the glass walled office next door. Many people had not made it in to the office at all, and I began to feel nervous I was going to be stranded in London. Pat told people they should go, and so I did. Betty's show was snowed off too, as the plan was to get to Kingston to see it after work.

Early in the afternoon I legged it to St Pancras, and through sheer luck caught a delayed Brighton station that was on the station. Despite this train's engine groaning ominously, it took me back to Brighton without too much trouble. Of course the absurdity of it all was that the snow was fairly paltry. I can't understand how in the 21st Century the transport system seizes up after an inch of snow.

Sussex looking beautifully wintery.  I love the way snow reduces signs of mankind and allowing you to see the lie of the land in a completely different way.

Relieved to be home safe with Lorraine, who had slid home at lunchtime. Ended up having a sleep on the sofa before Lorraine and I crunched out in the  snow to the Shahi for a cheeky curry.

Below a shot from the train window,  South London's, um, impassable snow drifts...




Comments