Newts and noises

A timely chat with Mike my former art director, whose grown up approach soon had me feeling grounded and less twitchy about my freelance work. Otherwise the usual: to the gym for the third day in a row (I don't seem to be much thinner, but I feel far more springy) listening to my new audio book Solar, by Ian McEwen which is typically crisp and funny. Some of my own work this afternoon.

Also spoke to Craig who I am going to stay with tomorrow night and Saturday, as part of Craig's Stag weekend.

Lorraine and I sauntered in Preston Park which was as busy as a Summer's night. Looking into the little circular pond by the cafe which was alive with newts. I took a fancy to a tiny one, and couldn't help thinking of it as my newt. Elsewhere even the curl of barbecue smoke, people playing tennis and football, and children running about. We sauntered enjoyably, with Lorraine admiring colourless flowers. A really nice interlude. Then back to cook a prawn based repast.

I am beginning to realise that the effort required to block out the noise, which starts at 8:00am, from the cranes, drills, things that saw bricks in half etc. that drags on interminably as the viaduct behind our house is repaired, has actually been badly harming my concentration. Under normal circumstances the Old Church Hall is pleasantly quiet apart from the occasional train, and the brawling of cats. I'm beginning to wonder if some of my malaise is simply having to struggle to hear myself think sometimes.

Comments