Hard drive

An eye test first thing this morning. Nice optometrist who said he started off as an electrical engineer, but married to an optician who, he noticed, was earning a lot more money than him. No appreciable deterioration in my mince pies and their insides good too which, having written at length about eye injections, is pleasing.

Dell helpline: call started at 11am and after four phone calls, the problem was diagnosed as being as a doomed hard drive at 4:15pm. Felt like Dante in Purgatorio with an Indian call centre Virgil. Cheekily having diagnosed a hardware problem, they tried to sell me software support for a year. An engineer will come to replace my hard drive, which of course means I will have to set up my computer from scratch again. The problem also prevents an automatic backup so I am forced to laboriously copy everything across to my external hard drive, file by file, email by email. Gah.

While I sighed in my study, there was a huge end-of-the-world thunderstorm over Brighton, but everything smelled fresh afterwards.

Walked to St Michael & All Angels at 6:30 and after much faffing about got on with rehearsal. Adrian Turner arrived and we arranged lights, and he prowled about taking shots. Meanwhile Simon the engineer did the same dipping a long wand-like microphone into the soup of sound, to work out how to mic the recording. Once we got going, the musicians were sounding nuanced, as Glen said afterwards. Cem on violin is excellent and this is lifting everyone. I feel there my own performance can be better, but it is getting there. Often I have to focus really hard on not missing the cue, and as I have no amplification I am projecting at top of my range and this tends to flatten things. I will have a mic for the recording however. Matt overall was pleased though. The choir still tentative, and were tired by the end of the night. They ran through Clameur as a last thing, and this has the potential to sound fantastic.

Repaired briefly to the pub afterwards with Fingers, Matt and Tom, but only for a throat soother, as everyone is being sensible this week.

Below snatched shot of me pulling some species of face. Rather atmospheric place to rehearse.

Comments