Back in the band

A wad of cotton wool in my head instead of a brain today, perhaps due to a slight cold.

Worked on amends to the atrial fibrillation work, and a bit of time on poems, which are going amazingly well at the moment. In the afternoon going through the score of This concert will fall in love with you and feeling rather nervous about the rehearsal due to the aforementioned brain.

Off to Sussex University rehearsal room to meet Matt. Was introduced to Cem Muharrem, who has replaced Ellie as she wasn't available for the recordings, but Cem seems to be an amazing violinist. Adam, Tom and Fingers Capra there too. Felt happy to be back with the gang. A little insight into the life of a musician, and the feelings of camaraderie that can go with it. For me all this is like being in a band for a few weeks, which as so much of my time is spent alone is rather nice. Rather sadly it makes me think of Yes, my favourite rock group, and helps me understand the stuff I've read about them. For example how the drummer Bill Bruford got utterly maddened by the bassist Chris Squire being continually late. We were all on time, but I can imagine how infuriating it is to hang about for two hours waiting for someone to turn up when you've set up.

Anyway, we biffed on through TCWFILWY and although I was a bit rusty found myself better at finding the cues than I'd hoped, and really getting into the performance. The music is very beautiful and to be in the presence of such amazing musicians is a bit gobsmacking. All of us were feeling good about it afterwards. Jumped into Glen's car after with Cem and Matt, and was enjoying being a passenger in the high-level musical conversations about composers, only half of whom I had even heard of. To the pub, and rejoined by Adam. A few beers, and then... To another pub for a few beers. Home late, feeling shattered but strangely relieved to be finally getting on with it.

Decided with Matt that we will call the CD Clameur. Matt has already started rehearsing the choir for the recording, and they have taken to the song Clameur greatly, and it sounds fabulous.

Below didn't have time to take photos, but here is a snap of L-R Fingers, Cem, Adam and Tom setting up.



Comments