Warts an' all

Busy day today. Off in the morning to take a long look at St Michael and All Angels church, which has some beautiful glasswork including examples by William Morris and Burne-Jones. Two ladies were on hand to talk to about the Church, and lend me a pair of binoculars to peer up at the glass. I mentioned that Matt and my concert would be on there, and so fell into lots of conversations, and said hello to one of the curates. A lovely place.

Then back to my place where Matt arrived, and we had a brief discussion about our This concert will fall in love with you project and I fed him some bean jar. He was amusingly disapproving of the state of my study, mentioning tidy minds and so on. Then off to the now traditional Basketmakers, where Sam and Lorraine had met. Found them with Lorraine tucking into a big pint of porter. We had a lovely afternoon shooting the breeze there. Matt mentioned, as an aside, that he thought our next project would be an opera and that we would get us a commission to do it. Writing a libretto is a tremendously exciting thought. Also in the Basketmakers was Glen Capra who is the pianist of the Tacet Ensemble who will be playing the piece. Nice to chat to him.

Also got drunk with Sam which was really fun, and we had lots of full and frank discussions. Sam, Lorraine and I off to the Brunswick Tavern to see the hugely enjoyable The Doctor Spacetoad Experience. This is a band fronted by an old friend from my Troubadour days Paul Francis. Had a few chats with him before they kicked off, and it was great to catch up a bit, he's now living in Paris and has amassed a huge amount of experience, and quite a following if the showing here in Brighton is anything to go by.

I was however rather well oiled and downing rum and coke with some abandon, and found myself with Sam shouting "Spacetoad" somewhat loudly in the crowd, decided that on reflection a taxi home was a penetratingly good idea, and the lovely and exceedingly patient Lorraine shepherded me and Sam home.

Paul is playing tomorrow in a pub a few hundred yards from me, and wondered if I would read a poem there. A lively day.

Below Paul in trademark top hat, and the Dr Spacetoad Experience.





Comments