The Moon is a Dandy

Rather run over feeling this morning, and a sluggish start to the day. Lorraine and I off to the Abergavenny Arms in Rodwell to meet First Matie, where I had the world's slowest pint and a exceedingly good Sunday roast dinner. From there we zoomed to the gorgeous village of Southease a couple of minutes down the road, with its roofs yellow with lichen. Good to see Kate in her new environs, utterly looking the part, and seeming very much at home in a little fairytale cottage, with a view across the road to the beautiful round tower of Southease Church, and the graveyard dotted with snowdrops. We took a cup of tea with us and wandered into the church. Inside a block of stillness, with only the sound of woodpigeons and other birds in it. Light tinged by coloured glass here and there. Fond farewells to Katie, then Lorraine and I zoomed home.

In the evening I took myself off to the nearby Evening Star for another bout of Dr Spacetoad. A crazy night with bursts of wild uninhibited dancing, which included mock bullfighting,self flagellation with rolled up newspapers, and much hooting and springing about drumming and singing. Especially from one man who I think was called Roy who is with the band, but was tonight in the audience. A natural comedian. The whole thing also being filmed by Roy's friend, a charming Scandinavian lady, who also interviewed me briefly about Paul's early days. Paul, for some reason, spoke and sang only in French for the first third of his set. At some point Sam and a pal turned up too, though I'm not sure what Sam made of it. Paul was joined on stage by Captain Sensible playing bass, and he dedicated his rendition of his ancient and still rather splendid song The Moon is a Dandy to me.

Paul asked me to read a couple of poems in this maelstrom. I managed to be a bit waffly, but the audience listened with surprising politeness given the earlier wild capering, and I was clapped. Much chatting with all and sundry afterwards, before heading home (all of two minutes walk) chatting to a sleepy Lorraine on my phone. And so to bed.

Below Captain Sensible and Dr Spacetoad start to play The Moon is a Dandy. Scenes from tranquil Southease with Katie and Lorraine.









Comments