The bright lights abate

Wan and post-migrainey. Luckily my freelance work was stuff I do at home. Spent the day puzzling through the brief and reading up about the Languedoc-Roussillion region, and then trying to sum this all up in a few words. Also luckily Mex and I had stayed with Ken in this region in a village near Limoux, and he drove us to see many of the sites such as Carcassonne castle, Perpignan, and old haunts of the Cathars, while almost continuously singing arias at the wheel. So for once I was writing about something I'd experienced.

In an effort to stave off a third bout of flashing visual disturbance, meditated and slept when I could, and went to bed early before migraine could get a grip again. These efforts paid off and I was okay all day. The visual effects, if you strip them of the pain and their disturbing nature, are actually incredibly beautiful, full of prismatic bright colours in angular crystal-like shapes. They travel from the centre of your vision, and then move gradually over half an hour or so to the periphery before slipping away, leaving you feeling generally washed out and hurty in the head parts.

Listened with eyes closed to an audiobook this evening, Sarah Waters The Night Watch. Some lovely, intriguing writing.

Comments