Little monsters

Lorraine and I took care of my Godchildren Klaudia and Oskar this weekend. The children by and large exceedingly adorable, and as good as gold. Lorraine, of course, brilliant with the kids and I'm not sure I could have done it without her.

But I really enjoyed swirling them upside down around the room by their ankles, reading stories, playing Super Mario go-cart things on Wii and so on. After a fairly relaxed Saturday afternoon, and a spot of Horrid Henry on TV, the children went off to bed nicely, Oskar falling asleep half way through his tea, and both bairns peeped not all night.

Klaudia walked brightly into the bedroom at 6:20am on Sunday and turned the light and TV on. For a variety of reasons I'd hardly slept the night before, so had mixed feelings about this. Lorraine resolutely snoozing. But soon Oskar followed and I had a child snuggled under each arm as we watched CBeebies. After breakfast, which was accompanied by the children walking around with saucepan lids for cymbals, we set about the serious business of being monsters.

I spent some time being a roaring monster that attacked knees. Eventually the children caged me behind chairs and fed me bananas and biscuits and cups of tea. After some time, they became monsters too (Klaudia decided she was Monster 1, Oskar Monster 2, and me, who'd come up with the whole monster thing, a mystifying Monster 3). We all ended up on an imaginary beach where Klaudia told us a monster story. Who needs drugs when you've children?
However by the middle of Sunday afternoon, I was rather pleased to see Anton and Anna. I had just confiscated a rubber ball Oskar had been persistently attempting to ingest, and Klaudia was insisting I hold her upside down for the 214th time.

Lorraine utterly fab in her entertainment of the children.

It all left me how do parents do it, day after day? Crept home with Lorraine, and settled on the gold sofa listening to the heavenly hush. Klaudia and Oskar are clearly the best little kids in the world though.

Below I was too busy playing to get a good shot of the kids. But this has Klaudia on the Wii and a rather unflattering one of Oskar.


Comments