Under Mars

Woke up with an idea for a Guernsey based story this morning, and got it down quickly. Then paid my tax via the interweb: a sobering business. Received a call about an appointment for a bowel check up, which is sensible if somewhat lacking in the glamour normally associated with this blog.

Spent the afternoon tidying up. I have the psychological need to get everything straight, so I can slice efficiently into next week.

Collected Lorraine and we walked out into a cold night, under a bright full moon with Mars near to it, at a mere 55.7 million km away from earth. It was so close that it is visibly red when glimpsed with the corner of your eye.

To the Engineer for a drinks and a cheap and tasty bowl of chilli. To meet Roland and Jay, the couple we'd met on New Year's Eve, and some of their friends. Nice pub and pleasant people, every time I opened my mouth however, I had the sensation I was alienating someone. A disconcerting experience. However Roland a nice chap, and easy to chat to. He told me he'd been to his son's football match during the week, and one of the parents had become so enflamed that he had headbutted one of the team's coaches. Police were called. Madness. Roland shocked that such a thing could be done in front of 13 year old boys. Meanwhile Lorraine sucked into a lengthy conversation about transvestism with two random gentlemen as she returned from the bar.

Everyone left early, but not before I managed to pour some beer into the lining of my coat. Rather gratefully home.

Comments