Friends and variations

Busy day today. Matt came around at noon, shortly after Lorraine and I had emerged, and we had a meeting about This concert will fall in love with you. He also played me through parts of the first five variations. It is incredibly exciting to hear them take shape, and how they interlace and enlarge on the words I've written. Even at this early stage, it is clear just how accomplished he is, and how this work will shine. We also discussed how we were going to promote it, and I've come up with a look and feel Matt's happy with. We were sat on my round table while we were talking and Calliope insisted sitting with her nose an inch away from Matt's pad.

From there off to the now-traditional Basketmakers where we met Lorraine, Matty boy and Craig who'd come down from London, and Matt's pal John. A cheery afternoon in the pub, with great gusts of chatting and generally hanging out and catching up. Matty and Craig both looking splendid, and on fine form.

Eventually we walked to the Nelson to see Spooner and Ali and their bright as buttons bairns. Hadn't had a chat with Spoons for some time. I told him that he had ruined Dylan Thomas for me, as he does a wild eyed and very Welsh Thomas impression, which every time I look at Thomas, comes to mind. Matt much liked by Matty boy and Craig.

Lorraine and I crept home shortly after Craig and Matty boy had left in dramatic style to catch their train, and Matt sloped off to see some other pals. Ate pizza on the gold sofa, and watched Chelsea score seven goals on Match of the Day, while drinking much needed sparkling waters. All well.

Comments