Joyful Cliff Path

Joyful Cliff Path is the name of a new coffee from Guernsey. It is hard to imagine anything that could so neatly dwell in the intersection of the venn diagram of my Twin Peaks/Guernsey obsessions.

Some nervous pacing about this morning. Richard and I were due to appear on BBC Guernsey's Jim Cathcart show. Got into the van with the dogs and sped off to the studios. We were listening to the show en route and hearing their continuing series about an objects which tell a special story. Arthur from the Vale brought in a spring jumper, which was used in shaping quarried granite. As we waited in the reception area, Arthur emerged wielding a heavy rusty two ended metal spear like a character from Stone De Croze, the Original Guernseyman. This apparition made Richard and I laugh a tad hysterically after he'd left, explaining in a slightly downbeat way that it was only the second best spring jumper on the island.

Jim was extremely professional and made me feel relaxed right away. You can hear Richard and I chatting about the Anthology of Guernsey to Jim here. We're on at 1hour 37 for twenty minutes or so. We worked well as a double act I think, and talked about the Anthology fairly coherently. We also got the opportunity for a couple of quick poems at the end. I did a lighter one about Zombies.

And we felt fairly big and clever as we drove off to unleash the dogs for a scamper in the sun and wind at Chouet bay. As we walked we found ourselves very close to an unconcerned kestrel, which seemed to me to be a good omen.

From there we zoomed to St Peter Port to meet Catriona in Hojos. Over snacks we discussed the Anthology, our Guernsey Doubles project, plus I mentioned This concert will fall in love with you. Good to see Catriona who is always enthusaistic and cheerful.

From here we drove to St Martin's and we took the dogs for a brief cliff walk from Icart Point. I felt as usual that deep respiration of the soul that this, my favourite of all places makes me feel. Here and there were dots of yellow on the gorse bushes. Can Spring be far behind? Richard not having done that walk too often was feeling it too. From there we drove to back to pay our proper respects to La Gran'mère.

Then north again for coffee at costas, and I bought three packets of Joyful Cliff Path in the supermarket next door.

In the evening, having scooped up Jane, we three went off to Christies in Le Pollet. We had a pleasant meal, a bottle of excellent wine and several laughs. Richard having to melt away at one point to inject Rufus, who was waiting in the van. Home, and I enjoyed hearing Janes poems over an absolutely bloody final wine, and discussed Ebenezer Le Page.

Another great day. Jane and Richard have been fabulous hosts - both Jane and I flying back to the UK tomorrow, Jane off to Glasgow for business, and me home. Richard feeling glum about being left alone.

I was unable to sleep. Bookshelves in my room groaning with great books. But I read Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus, and a book by Alan Coren until it was almost morning.

Below the excellent Jim Cathcart in his studio, a kestrel on the west Coast, Saints Bay in subtle January colours from my own Joyful Cliff Path, my favourite Granite head, and La Gran'mère.












Comments