Push! Push!

The last lap. Pleased I only had a restrained night with Anton, up early and worked on the novel till 5:07pm. One last push and the first showable draft of the novel was done. A huge – if solitary - moment like a cat giving birth in a wardrobe.

Now there is the ghastly business of asking friends and relatives to read it. This is even more ghastly for the victims, however. For there is the possibility that the thing I have been working on for about 16months is terrible. What can they possibly say? Absolutely anything, is the answer, for I long ago understood that what I make and who I am are different things.

During the day Sam had called around as on Fridays you are allowed to take a new person in to the gym for a free session. He threw himself into the running machine, and hulk legs machine next to me with great gusto. And it was my third time this week, so I was fairly pleased with myself. Sam is a good runner, and afterwards he thought that he would only end up running, so he might as well save himself the money.

In the evening, met Lorraine in the Tin Drum for a quick drink, with Lorraine who had cunningly printed the book off. Then to Zizzi's by decadent cab, as I had a taste for a Diavola pizza with loads of chillies. It was so hot that I had to eat the edges of Lorraine's pizza as gulping my beer only made it worse. I was talking about my book a great deal. Lorraine is a very patient woman.

Comments