A spell in the cinema

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince tonight with Lorraine, Sam and Beth. Used the Orange Wednesday business, where you text film to a number on your mobile phone and get a twofer deal. I enjoyed the film, its mise en scène, settings and general bits of magic. Plot all over the place however, and relies on you having read it, to work out its significance.

Having not read this book, I was left rather untouched by 'the unhappy event' (as Kermode and Mayo call it) at the end. Also bits such as where the Weasley's house is set on fire were not given time to sink in emotionally. The house is on fire, they stare at it bleakly for one or two seconds, and that's it: never referred to again. Still, it was great escapism. My admiration for JKR undiminished.

Lorraine and Beth enjoyed it, and Sam thought that only two things happened, and it took two and a half hours to get there. Lorraine gave me a lift home, only after I gave her the BSG DVDs. Otherwise, another day of arthritis copy. And I'm still hobbling, and many other joints aching too. I am generally in poor shape, but in a better frame of mind.

Comments