Song of the farmers

Unspleeping in the airnest, so up early to work before everyone got up. Salty the cat biting me as I typed. After breakfast we all watched the end of the Seven Samurai. At the end of the film, having lost four of their number in the battle, the Samurai wander off as the ungrateful farmers sing lustily while planting rice. "Another defeat," says one grimly. Splendidly miserablist.

Nice to hang out with everyone in sunny Edgware. Later Toby took the train with me as far as St Pancras (aka St Pancreas by almost everyone), then I listened to an In Our Time podcast about of early Islam and the schism between Shia and Sunny on the way back to Brighton. The history of religion is just a filthy power struggle.

A dapper Nick Cave in the same carriage. Resisted the temptation to intrude on his personal space, just as he - somehow - managed to resist the temptation to intrude on mine.

Much needed sleep on my gold sofa despite Calliope persistently kneading me. Then I walked to Lorraine's house for supper. She is genuinely liking Skelton Yawngrave which is a great relief, sat watching some companionable telly with her and Sam and Beth.

Returned home to Battlestar Galactica, borrowed from Mas. Lots of explosions and fighty aliens. Love it.

Comments