Scampi among the gaijin

A night of drugged sleep again. Makes me feel wussy when I get up. Back still a ghastly nexus of evil. Went for a swim, then back to the chiropractor, who did some more stuff and head shaking, and told me to put peas on it. Working in a slightly unfocused way today, and back gyp and kitten attacks at my laptop not helping. Have decided to look for some quick wins - so am finalising a half finished essay on how silence is treated in poetry which I've had lurking around for some time.

The old Mad dog was in Brighton today and came round late in the afternoon, which gave Calliope the opportunity to bite him a bit as we sipped cups of tea. This was richly deserved as he was, for his own reasons, calling her Clamidia.

We went off for a couple of drinks in the Cricketers. Sat near three older Japanese ladies tucking into some pub grub, and I couldn't help wondering what they made of scampi and chips, with a bit of salad, which they were picking at delicately with their strange eating irons. It is a very nice pub, and they seemed to be having fun. One had a sturdy pint of Guinness, and I took a group photograph on one of their cameras, remembering the friendliness I'd met in Japan. As they left I said sayonara to them, much to their amazement and almost comical delight.

Bob and I then went for a curry in the usual place. I ordered a zaffrani which came out somewhat different to usual as there was a new chef. The owner Ash having an anxious conversation with me about it afterwards, as this is one of his restaurant's signature dishes.

Bob and I discussed many things, such as the role of muses in poetry, but ended up back in the Caxton playing some pool, the old Mad dog using unfair psychological warfare against me to edge a win. Then home to listen to a few Bob-prescribed tunes before we crashed out.

Comments