A Manly word from Nev

Up and sifting emails at 7, including one from Nev in Australia, which mentioned things like glorious weather, and the possiblity of doing a little work together across the globe. Then I had a long chat with Mex who is going to be on BBC 2 Business Lunch next week, and is currently taking some big career decisions.

Meanwhile the media is full of glooms. I hate all this talk of unemployment as I was unemployed for quite some time in my twenties. I know at first hand how grim signing on is for extended periods.

Then off to the chiropractor for more manhandling. After this, as it was such a glorious day, I chose instead to walk down to the beach. Fine Autumn sun. I found myself having fish and chips by the sea. A beautiful day and I sauntered about on the pier and took a few photos. There was a school party of teenagers taking photos too. It was all rather comical.

In the afternoon, as the morning had been so arduous, I listened to a hypnotic relaxation tape, and then had a sleep. Then listened to Blood on the Tracks by Bob Dylan. With guidance from Mandy I am overcoming a deeply held prejudice, and find myself liking it a lot, once you get used to The Voice. The songs themselves are really good. I can't believe it has taken me this long to really listen to a Bob Dylan album.

As I was writing this I got another note from Nev who said: "I played a round of golf with Peter Bonetti at a Rushden & Diamonds Golf Day. Then spent the evening at the same table as him for dinner. He was wonderful company and very down to earth. I liked him alot. He is also not very tall for a goalkeeper either - he couldn't possibly live in a place called Manly*!"

* the highly appropriate place where Nev lives.

Below I just got caught by the reflection on this ugly-ish part of the pier.


Comments

Amanda said…
You took the plunge. :-)
You may get hooked. Which tracks grabbed you on first listen?

If you like this you should probably move onto Desire (same era but different feel and sound) before going back a decade to the earlier classics.
Peter Kenny said…
I was ho-humming along with it, till I suddenly found that "You're a big girl now" had made me cry. No idea why, but it did because it seemed to come straight from the heart. Also really like "A Simple Twist of Fate", and "If you see her,say hello" and "buckets of rain". I would never have bought this but for you... and I'm really pleased I did.
Amanda said…
You've hit the nail on the head. His words strike to the core. Some of the best works - we've found out decades later - were left off the LPs. Maybe because he found them too revealing/strong. Hence the Bootleg series of now official releases that revisit earlier phases, filling in the gaps.
Am glad you got it.

I also really like that often his words sound clear and direct but have ambiguity too.. I want to try and capture that uncertainty when I write a short story.
Amanda said…
PS A word of warning - there are a handful of albums in Dylan's 46 year back catalogue that not even hardcore Bobcats will admit to liking. Don't go there, even if you see them for 10p.
They are 'Knocked Out Loaded', 'Self Portrait', 'Down in the Groove', the 1973 self titled 'Dylan'.
In addition 'Empire Burlesque' and 'Good As I Been To You' are marginal - having just a couple of good tracks on them.

That leaves about 27 other albums well worth investigating though ...
Peter Kenny said…
Bobcats :-) I will definitely steer clear of those bowsers. Better a few terrible albums than mediocrity.

Love to see the story you're working on.

I like this description of poetry I once heard: "the precise expression of mixed feelings".
Mecca Ibrahim said…
Thanks for the massive pep talk which really helped a lot. Still haven't done the mind map, but feel much more focussed on what I want to do.

The meeting that day went very well - so keep fingers crossed.

This week have a few other interesting conversations lined up and Working Lunch on Tuesday should be interesting - I'm going to be doing "live blogging" whatever that is ;-)